Friday, March 6, 2015

Birthday Blues

First - Happy Birthday to Eli!

Unfortunately, we don't yet have a birthday picture : (.  And, as always, there's more to the story.

I've really been struggling with how much to say on the blog. I have a desire to put it all out there so that someone will understand....but at the same time, I know I need to protect his privacy. At home, Eli has been having difficulty lately with being kind and polite. I am not kidding when I say that many of the comments he's been making lately have been with an extremely rude tone and snarky facial expressions. He has mastered the art of 'smart-aleck'....but it's neither funny nor cute.  When Patrick and I have been correcting him, he's begun to fake laugh at us or made rude faces/noises.  When we ask him to do something, he generally hangs his head, and sighs or grumbles about it. He has also been very demanding (of us) lately. We've attributed it to the fact that we have some major life changes coming, and that he's acting out because of them.  We know that we've had some stressful days as a family recently, in getting ready to become larger. But, this morning, the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back' fell. When combined with the tiredness that P and I both have from being sick with a cold this week and the added stress/challenge of planning birthday surprises and a party for Eli and his friends, it's a recipe for disaster.

And y'all - disaster is the absolute best way to describe our morning. Basically, it ended with tears for both of us, though I did tell him that even though I was angry, I still really love him.  He really lost it then, and started sobbing. Then I had to leave him with Ms. E, who felt that he might be being manipulative rather than genuine. Yikes! 

Here's to hoping things go well when I pick him up in a few minutes. I'm not the person he's expecting (he thought his grandparents were picking him up today), but I think I'm the best candidate.  I'm praying tonight is better...





No comments:

Post a Comment