Friday, June 6, 2014

Say What?

Eli has surprised me (and others) with some of the things he says and does.

Yesterday, he proceeded to tell someone our address when they needed it. Complete address, except for zip code. It didn't surprise me (after all, I'd taught it to him), but the other person was shocked.

Today, he exclaimed how excited when he noticed an app I had downloaded for him "Oma, Oma, did you out this on here?  The Mahjong that I played with Grandma yesterday? Yay! Thank you! I love Mahjong!"  He actually does love mahjong solitaire...which is, of course, why I downloaded it!

He called his grandparents to announce to them that he knows their phone number (and proceeded to recite it). He also knows part of my cell number and part of Patrick's cell phone number.

He begged for a jigsaw puzzle that he saw at a local thrift store for $1. It has 550 pieces. He's been working on it a little bit at a time for almost a week. He's finished about a fourth of it...and won't let either Patrick or I help him. He's done 100 piece puzzles before, but this is certainly more challenging!

While cooking a few days ago, Eli asked if he could have a bite of "cookie salt." It took me a while to figure out that he meant table sugar. Since it looks like salt and had a cookie on the front of the bag, you can see how he got the name.

While waiting our turn in a long line, he proceeded to tell me that he was "Tuke, a blue alien. With lots of alien powers, and a water hose." The reason for the water hose? So he can defeat fire monsters like Dr. Who did on TV (except Dr. Who used a squirt/water gun).  Apparently, I also have a super power...the "power of veto."

We've had a lot of talks lately about another child, A, in Eli's class. He does not get along with this child AT ALL. He got angry last week and had a meltdown in class. Later, when he talked to me about it, he quietly said, "Oma, I didn't mean to upset Mrs. M. I was really upset and angry about what A did. A is not nice to me at all. Oma, what do you do when you're angry?"

Of course, now, when he's naughty, I tell him he's acting like A. He hates it when I say that, but it often will make him act a little better. Between that, and pointing out A's positive days, things are improving (but rocky).

Eli's definitely still in a very trying stage...tantrum/attitude diffusing without giving in to him has become an almost daily event. And I do mean attitude...complete with grumpy voice, arms crossed across his chest, pouty lip, and eye rolling. And a LOT of attempts at manipulation and negotiation.

However, he is still very, very sweet...and normally has a very sweet, loving disposition. At the store, when I pretended to let go of the shopping cart while it was rolling, Eli exclaimed, "No, don't let me go, I LOVE you!!" Best. Moment. Ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment