Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent 2013

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had an amazing turkey; Eli managed to eat an entire drumstick and part of a thigh, in addition to the veggies and pie...

Speaking of pie - on Wednesday, as I was rolling out gluten free dough to make pie crust for Thanksgiving, I realized that I have a decent bit leftover (I usually do). I grabbed a fondant roller & brought Eli in the kitchen to have some fun. Originally, I thought about letting him just play with the dough, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar and bake it...but this was enough for a small pie. So, I found a ramekin (that I usually use for crème brulee), and showed him how to roll the dough from the center of the ball.  He decided to make an apple pie with some cooked apples that I'd made earlier that day. He added cinnamon (he originally wanted to add pepper...I had to talk him out of it!) and brown sugar, and I baked it with our pumpkin and pecan pies. Oh, my....I am very glad that it was not a pie baking contest, because we all agreed after Thanksgiving dinner that his little apple pie was the most delicious pie we had! It was even better than my pumpkin pie (gasp!).

One of my goals last week was to create an Advent calendar for Eli. He understands that Christmas is a big deal, but he hasn't figured it all out yet. So, I thought that an Advent calendar would be one way to help him count down the days and better understand the whole celebration. We made a very simple one from a piece of posterboard (folded in half, with 24 windows cut out). Eli decorated it with stickers & we did our first activity yesterday.  The new church we've been going to has an Advent wreath-making night for the children, and we got to hang out with some new acquaintances, have a potluck dinner, and make an Advent wreath. It looks so pretty on our table & Eli was fascinated by lighting the first candle on the wreath last night. My hope was to get pictures of Eli doing each activity so that I have a small scrapbook from this year - but I forgot my camera last night! I also was thrilled that his Sunday school class is doing some really cute art projects throughout Advent & yesterday he came home with a handprint star. He was so proud of himself, and I was surprised at how well it came out. The ladies who teach the 2 & 3's at our church really do an unparalleled job teaching them!

We are very happy to be so near to the end of the semester. Only 3 weeks until semester break : )!!

No comments:

Post a Comment