Monday, February 28, 2011

Adoptive Families

Our social worker recommended a magazine called "Adoptive Families".  We received our first issue today, and it was like getting treasure in the mailbox!  It has a little bit of everything, but I especially appreciated the frank discussion of the challenges that multicultural and interracial families sometimes face.  I only recently became aware of how some of my own Asian students felt about being stereotyped...even when the stereotype is positive.  There are some more books that were recommended for reading that I may try to find.  The articles on easing tranisitions back to work were also helpful, and helped some of the anxiety that I have felt about going to work after the adoption.  I really don't want to have to leave my baby in someone else's care (even though it is still excellent care), but I also don't want to give up my role as a teacher...it's too important to me.  Yet, at the same time, I want to do what's best for my baby's well being and I want to make the transition and bonding processes go as smoothly as possible both short and long term.  Hearing/reading good, sound advice from adoptive parents who have experienced the same emotions is really soothing and helpful - especially from someone like me, who worries!

No comments:

Post a Comment